CompaniesHome page // Companies
Subsidiary of JSC “Aviation Holding Company “Sukhoi” “Novosibirsk Aviation Plant named after V.P. Chkalov”
Shareholders of NAPO (JSC):
Sphere of activities
Series production of military and civil aircraft.
The V.P. Chkalov Novosibirsk Aircraft Production Association is one of Russia's largest aircraft production factories. In 1931 construction of a mining equipment plant has started in the outskirts of Novosibirsk, while in 1936 the decision of the Council of Labor and defense determined the new profile of plant – aircraft construction. On November 4, 1937 the first built aircraft I-16 got off the ground at the plant. Later were created and built such well-known aircraft types as Yak-3, Yak-7, Yak-9.
In December 1939 the plant was named after Valeriy Chkalov, the Hero of the Soviet Union.
In the years of the Second World War each third fighter “Yak” built in the USSR was made by the plant. Practically, during the war years up to 33 military aircraft (virtually a regiment) were produced by the plant per day.
In the postwar years the plant manufactured jet fighter-interceptors MiG-15, MiG-17, MiG-19 and Yak-28P. Enterprise formerly known as the plant ¹ 153 and Novosibirsk Aviation Plant (NAZ) began collaborating closely with Sukhoi Design Bureau and from the end of 1950-s carried out the production of fighter-interceptors such as Su-9, Su-11 and Su-15.
Since 1972 the production of front bomber Su-24 with the variable geometry of wing, its modifications such as Su-24M, SuU-24MR were produced in the subsequent years. The Su-24MK version of the aircraft was exported to a number of countries of the Near East and Africa (Algeria, Syria and others).
At the end 1980-s NAPO started the series production of Su-27IB – the multifunctional aircraft of the 4-th generation which then was appropriated as Su-32. This aircraft was created in the Sukhoi Design Bureau under the management of general designer Mr. Simonov M.P. and chief designer Mr. Martirosov R.G. The first flight of the Su-32 took place on December 18, 1993.
NAPO began the implementation of a diversification program to include modern civil aircraft production in 1991. In summer 1994 the first flying version of the An-38-100 aircraft, developed by Antonov Design Bureau, began flights on the NAPO’s airfield. And in December 1994, the second flying prototype got off the ground. That fact was symbolic for the Novosibirsk plant given that Antonov Design Bureau was created at this plant in the postwar years. It was the Novosibirsk plant where the famous An-2 was designed and started its first flights.
Now, almost half a century later, at the same plant, An-38-100 a modern passenger aircraft for local airlines, which was intended to replace morally and physically obsolete aircraft like An-2, An-28, L-410 and partially An-24 and Yak-40, is being built.
Nowadays NAPO is one of Russia’s largest aircraft construction plants that offers its customers high-quality products and a large complex of services.
In 2005 NAPO signed a contract with the Ministry of Defense of RF for production of Su-34 impact aircraft. The series delivery of these machines to Russian air force began in 2006.
Current information on the company represented at:
Ulansky side-street, bld.1, 22
Moscow 101000, Russia
Phone: +7(495) 926-1420
Fax: +7(495) 926-1421